Monday 25 July 2016

The Untidy Gardener

My garden is a mess. Borage and buckwheat have self seeded all over the place.  I'm pressed for time and it shows.

Everything in my pollinator snack bar was mowed down several times by a plague of slugs. I finally gave up and threw in a packet of wildflower seeds, which turned out to be mostly poppies.


Almost all my root vegetables are in for Fall and Winter harvesting. They are all covered for shade. You would think the covers would offer some protection from bugs but that would be too much to ask. The turnips have been viciously nibbled. On the other side of their bed are cabbages. I'm wondering if the cabbage worms are using the beets for appetisers.



Fingers crossed, the beets are doing O.K. The carrots are pathetic. Thank goodness for the parsnips, who after two dismal years have found a location they like.

Training Honey and Rosie is in full swing. Constant vigilance is exhausting. On the plus side they will do anything for a minuscule piece of liver. Handy for popping into my own mouth if I feel the need for some protein-see exhaustion.

For your enjoyment a photo of logger sports

credit D. Denduyf via Logger Sports

15 comments:

  1. A garden has to be a bit messy for me to feel happy, it should not be too tidy. Despite the exhaustion Honey and Rosie will give you so much joy and love and I suppose they don´t like tidy gardens. That Logger Sports body looks very impressive Susan.
    Regards from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A gently disorded garden is very soothing.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm.....logging looks --- "nice"!

    The bugs do seem extra bad this year. Keep plugging away at it though. If you give up, THEY win!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slugs lucked into some perfect sluggy weather at the beginning of the season.

      Delete
  3. With the heat we are having and little rain, my plants are not doing well either. I am disappointed, and I have done all I can but Mother Nature has not cooperated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been tough slogging this year. I feel sorry for the farmers.

      Delete
  4. I like you even more for your garden-honesty!.....and thank you for the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hubba! There's only so much we can do - although we always try to do more than we can. Between the heat, lack of water and time, I'm starting to think that I may toss in the garden next year and join a CSA. My three will do back flips for liver bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant idea about the CSA. The weight lifted as soon as i read it.

      Delete
  6. I all but threw in the towel when July rolled around. I didn't want to be out in the Florida heat, I didn't want to deal with the bugs so I ripped out my veggie garden. I haven't even done a good job of weed maintenance in my flower beds. It's Just Too Hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had blistering heat-then cold and wet-now back to heat-I agree it is tough to keep going.

      Delete
  7. Loooove the last photo! Were there any other photos in this post??

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a shame that all your veggies are being eaten, I hope you're able to salvage enough of what you need. Do you have a Pet Value store out there? I have found "Rollover" to be an amazing treat for training dogs. It was the local dog shelter that originally told me about it as it's what they use. Unfortunately, I don't think you can nibble on it yourself lol!

    ReplyDelete